Call for vision and brainstorming

Topics: Visions and Concepts
Coordinator
Jun 14, 2006 at 5:38 AM
This is a call to all for any vision and brainstorm ideas of how you see this tool working? Obviously, the user experience is crucial and usability of presenting complex information in a meaningful way is a big challenge.

Throw out all your ideas, good, bad or indifferent and let's see what people think. From this we can create a vision.

Now outside of the larger vision also throw out there what is the bare minimum functional requirements for such a tool. Remember you don't have it at all in TFS version control so think in a very tight and quick iteration.

Developer
Jun 14, 2006 at 6:55 AM
To start at the VERY high level, are we looking to build a standalone smart client app, a VS 2005 integrated extension or both? I suspect that we whould be able to create a base set of functionality and then "slap on" either or both interfaces to get to them.

Thoughts?
Jun 19, 2006 at 3:07 PM
I agree that an appropriate middle tier should be the focus of development, but the vision, scope, and requirements should initially address the business needs without looking at implementation specifics.

We should first consider who the users of the proposed software will be. Obviously developers are one set of users. But do we also see production support teams using this as part of a deployment process (or potentially a rollback mechanism)? Or how about QA teams? Could this be used to provide access to a specific version of software for testing? Are there other potential users?

Next we need to articulate the specific problem sets that this solution addresses. What scenarios are required, but are currently unsupported by the existing tools? (in other word, why are we developing this tool?)

Once these questions are answered, it should be easy to generate a vision statement that depicts what life will be like once the tool is available.
Coordinator
Jun 19, 2006 at 3:42 PM
I don´t know if this helps, but since I was having a hard time picturing the whole concept behind our project (Hey, hello! I was added to the project! Hi Everyone!), I googled a little bit about Version Trees.

I found Eclipse´s one (someone mentioned it in the other post).
http://versiontree.sourceforge.net/full_screen.png

I think the graphical representation of the modifications that a file had is great, but it would be even greater to see a bigger picture. Something like "From xx/xx/xxxx to xx/xx/xxxx what has changed and by whom?".

Sorry if I´m saying something stupid. But I just found out about the project today and I´m trying to learn and think all I can :)

Hope to hear a lot from you all.
Bernardo Heynemann
Jun 22, 2006 at 4:59 AM
Good graphic, this is what I though this project was about. You would also include the visual aspect of Rational ClearCase with the visual representation of branches, showing where they were branched and merged etc. (looking for equally good graphic).

conceptual view (http://www.highley-recommended.com/sw_process/images/BranchingPolicies.gif)

better (http://www.interface.ru/rational/comand.gif, http://www-06.ibm.com/jp/software/websphere/ft/studio/wsad/v51/i/wsad51_06.gif)
Coordinator
Jun 22, 2006 at 6:08 PM
I concur. This is what was leading me originally to WPF... an inherent more easy (I think) mechanism to create the very geometric diagrams required. I have looked closely at UCM. In fact look for a news feed on that in just a bit. I specifically went and spent some private time with a client to go through their very complicated source code strcuture and the version tree browser in basecase and clearcase/UCM. It's definately a very strong and mature interface.
Developer
Jun 25, 2006 at 7:01 PM
Have we reached a point where we're ready to state the project vision? There's been a lot of discussion in various directions, but no single statement that sums up the 1) vision for the product and 2) the vision for the first release of the product.
Coordinator
Jun 25, 2006 at 8:44 PM
Yes. Absolutely. Let's get the vision and scope in place see the work items. I assgined to Steve St. Jean but since you are around and ready to run with it why don't you take task Create a Vision Statement Wiki page for edit