How to get involved

Topics: Request for Membership
Coordinator
Jun 15, 2006 at 11:27 AM
Here is my suggestion on helping out...

The plan currently for adding developers is to go slow. For adding users that can contribute directly via Wiki mods etc will be much broader. Largely if you participate via comments and discussions you'll quickly be given wiki edit access. After all isn't that the point of a wiki. All envisioning, design and communication will occur publicly via the wiki, and discussion groups so jump right in.

Then as we progress those that have the availability and have been particpating and can fill a role will be added in as developers for actual source code access and modification.

Drops of the code for review etc will occur at every promotion so that anyone can contribute even if you don't have direct access to the source repository. This allows for as many people to participate as desired in offering refactoring submissions, test cases, bug fixes, new code etc, but still have some manageable control over code changes and again a finite number of people for work items just to keep it manageable.

Coordinator
Jun 15, 2006 at 12:16 PM
I have requested a new role. You can find the feature request here:

http://www.codeplex.com/Project/DisplayThread.aspx?ProjectName=CodePlex&ForumId=32&ThreadId=192

and reposted below:
---------------------------------

I'd like to see an additional user type. One who is allowed to add and edit wiki pages but is not a developer thus does not have source code access.

This role is ideal for people that wish to participate more fully than just via discussions and comments but not necessarily have coding privileges. For my project especially I want to encourage people to have a role in doing edits and adds to the pages for maximum community involvement without having to give them access to edit of source code.

If Coordinators had permission within their Team project to add/remove users from the developer group. Then I as a work around I could add them as a developer via the site then go into TFS and remove them from developer and place them in a contributor role in which I could restrict the write access etc to source.

Ideally a developer who has access to the source repository and a contributor who only has wiki edit access would be ideal.